Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Overqualified

You may ask: Is my Nexus good?

Maybe to your surprise, but, the scientific answer is I don't know.

To me, the new tablet is nothing more than a handy pile of books and journals and a small note pad, used mostly for my reading of PDFs and sometimes Words documents, with occasional notes to jot down for my flight of ideas. I hardly ever use it for internet search, not to say complicated computations or playing videos. In other words, there is actually no need to have the most advanced version of Android Jelly Bean as the operating system, or a quad-core CPU, or 2 GB RAM, or a screen of over 300 ppi, or stereo speakers with surround sound. All of these are cutting edge technology, but my basic needs are humble.

Nonetheless, I fall into the usual trap. When I consider which model to buy, the new version is almost always preferred. For example, the first generation Nexus is still around. It is around 40% cheaper, and probably serve my purposes equally well - but I still choose the new version released this July.

PS. The first generation of this tablet is, by all standard, overqualified for my requirement. I'm afraid that's a general phenomenon of the computer and electronic industry.

A computer could be no more intelligent than the man who uses it.

No comments: