Thursday, March 6, 2014

知秋

The famous topic in our city recently is certainly the case of Kevin Lau (劉進圖).

I shall not discuss my view here. In fact, I have little opinion, except I keep thinking of an entirely different case some 20 years ago.

It is the murder of Yip Chee Chau (葉知秋).

For those who are not familiar with the history of our own city, Yip was a columnist in 1980s and was famous for his skeptical view on the (mainland) Chinese government as well as a strong opinion against an Taiwan independence movement.

On 18 January 1992, Yip was found dead at the staircase of the building that he lived – his skull was smashed like peanut shell. That was around the time that Yip made a series of critical comments towards the Chinese government in his newspaper column, and a few days after a conference against Taiwan independence movement. Either side was believed to be responsible for the assassination.

But no. It turns out that Yip was killed accidentally during a quarrel with his girlfriend’s husband.

PS. Don’t get me wrong. I have no intention to suggest Lau’s case bears any resemblance to Yip’s. It is just my déjà vu feeling.

No comments: