Sunday, March 9, 2014

Morale

A hot topic amongst many of my friends recently is the low morale of our medical officers.

Or, as PW – a fellow rheumatologist of my department – put it succinctly: What is morale? There is no such word in my dictionary.

I shall not elaborate what I think on this matter. (After all, I don’t think I need to have an opinion on this occasion, and, if any, my view is definitely biased and would not help the situation.) However, I would discuss the metaphysical and psychological insight that I learn after discussing this topic here and there.

First, my friend JW said, “We’ve got to do something about it.”

Quite right. On the next day, I asked WY, “Why do our medical officers have such a low morale?”

“I think there are two causes, A and B. Since A is more important, I am proposing an action plan to take care of it.”

That sounded logical. The two causes seemed obvious, and the proposed plan was a logical solution for A.

(To be continued.)

PS. I shall not specify what A and B were, or what action plan was constructed. The topic is slightly sensitive, and I will try my best to confine myself to the underlying principle rather than facts and details.

No comments: