Monday, March 10, 2014

Something

Although my friend’s proposal sounded logical, I felt uneasy – there are a whole lot of difficulties in execution.

I thought for a while, and then I saw some light, “My friend, I agree with everything you say. However, your plan would invite a full range of opposition and possibly never work out. After all, our primary objective is to improve the morale of young doctors, not to solve A – although it is an important problem per se. Although B is the less important factor that contributes to the poor morale, I suppose we can do something about it and achieve the same goal.”

Principle #1: It is not always necessary to solve the major problem to achieve the ultimate aim.

WY was surprised. She certainly thought that my proposal wouldn’t work either. In fact, when I considered the issue again on my way home, I was not sure how to solve B, or how the morale would become if B is really solved.

*********************
On the next day, I lunched with PS, LS and PW, and we got back to the same discussion.

The outspoken rheumatologist said, “I think there are many other contributing factors – C, D, E… all the way to Z.”

I was forced to agree.

No comments: