Friday, September 5, 2014

Choice

“It is really timely to have Miss Hong Kong Pageant just now,” Vivian remarked during a casual conversation, “Look at how they choose the winner and whom they come up with at the end. What hope could you have on our election of the Chief Executive?”

“Quite right,” I nodded and put up a bitter smile.

“In fact, with this system of screened election (篩選), I believe CY with win the 2017 election and serve another term.” Vivian continued.

“Alas, I’m not that sure.” I smiled – a more curious one this time.

“Why not?” My wife became more excited, “Who would they put up for us to choose? Imagine, if the three candidates are CY, Ann Chiang (蔣麗芸) and Lau Kong-Wah (劉江華), is there really a choice?”

“Oh! In that case I would choose Lau Kong-Wah.” I replied in no time, “He appears close to normal.” As the under-secretary of a bureau (alas, I cannot remember which – that scores one point), he has nothing to do – and therefore he behaves appropriately and does nothing.

No comments: