Sunday, September 28, 2014

Parent

“Let me go one step further and ask: What if she does give a sound answer to both of your questions, but they are not logically linked? In other words, if your daughter knows what she is doing and why she is doing this, but her what does not help her why – what she is doing would not achieve her goal or purpose?”

“Alas, I see what you mean. However, I have not been asking for a logical sequence of action. I shall keep my words and be supportive.”

To my surprise, L nodded approvingly, “My friend, I shall take my hat off for you. What a keen supporter of liberalism! However, as a parent, you are a rare species. Many of the traditional Chinese fathers would insist their children to behave in a way that they parents think appropriate. Others may allow their children to pursue their own dream – but only if the teenager has a water-tight logical argument.”

“I could see the conflict now. When talking to the reporter, the King of the Round Table was playing the role of a parent – most likely from a traditional Chinese family. On the other hand, the students were taking him as an ordinary person, and, their motto is: Everyone should be equal!"

No comments: