Friday, August 15, 2008

Change

TW has got the wit to recognize what we face in the change of attitude of medical practitioner is unavoidable but would also inevitably lead to disaster - as she says in a slip-of-the-tongue manner: 與時並盡.

Yes, it is the old Latin proverb: Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis. (In English, it is: The times are changing, and we are changing with time.) But not every change is good. The principle of genetics predicts that over 99% of all new mutations (alas, changes) are detrimental.

There is, of course, 1% of them advantageous - the important bit to keep the evolution going. Nonetheless it doesn't mean we keep all mutations in the genome. For the majority of them, we should have the courage and discard once we see they lead to birth defects.

Some days ago, when K commented on another blog of mine, she asked (rather seriously): And the solution ? I have no idea. As a passenger, and being on the death seat, I know the brake is not working alright and the driver is half asleep. I cannot drive, but I could shout to keep the man next to me awake - hopefully he would then slow down the car and fix up the defect in the system.

PS. This analogy is not an invention of mine. Socrates told an almost identical story (on ox-cart) over 2000 years ago. Our great philosopher died of that "ox", I know.

2 comments:

TW said...

I think the immediate effect of this change of attitude is "inflation", or "stagflation" because of the inevitable increase in cost of labour.
My prediction, robotic surgery will become the standard in the future, which will further increase the surgical fee.

K said...

Puahahaha... I really liked this comment.

Hey...ok.. I'll try very hard keep awake in the driver's seat. You know, I think that by being a teacher (like you), and inspiring others is pretty much the way to go in terms of influencing people with better attitudes. We really only can do small things, sometimes.