Saturday, August 9, 2008

Typhoon

I realized it was typhoon signal number 8 only after I arrived at my office.

But I was not alone. To my surprise, I met Madam Wah - the hospital amah responsible for cleaning up many of our office - sharp at 7:45 AM. (I shall probably adjust my watch by the time this faithful woman appears, just like what Prussian people did for Immanuel Kant.)

I said good morning to her, and asked in a rather light-hearted way, "You still have to come in this weather ?"

"Of course," she replied in her characteristic accent, "or they shall deduce today's wage from my salary."

I said nothing more. Our punctual lady was actually very well off and could retire in luxury any time she wishes.

The morning passed by. I finished with some paper work and went for a round on my cases. Many of the medical officers were already at work.

But there was no house officer - who should all be living at the hostel - in most of the wards.

"Why, by the regulation they do not have to work." You may argue.

Certainly. But it is also because of their willingness to follow regulations of this kind they lose their professional stand. Today I have more respect to a reliable dust-woman than some nondescript youngsters who claim themselves medical practitioners.

1 comment:

JW said...

How come you know even the financial status of madam Wah? I have been underestimating your intellectual curiosity!