Sunday, August 3, 2008

CSC

This is the last day of CSC.

Our professor from England has been with us for nearly 25 years. As a medical student brought up in the colonial days, I am somewhat uneasy to have no one with silver hair and blue eyes around (except BT - who hardly ever appears or gives an opinion).

Of course many of us - including myself many a time - often think that the part-time endocrinologist gives too much of his opinion. Nonetheless I feel a loss.

Or, in a poetic description, Eraritjaritjaka.

The last event of the day was medical grand round, while CSC used to be a regular audience. The round today was, by coincidence, an endocrine topic - and a few of his papers were actually quoted in the talk. I saw him giving a weired smile, said goodbye to CC (one of his earliest students in Hong Kong), and left the lecture theatre almost unnoticed.

You may wish to quote: 悄悄的我走了,正如我悄悄的來,我揮一揮衣袖,不帶走一片雲彩。

But I'm thinking of: 君子 不出惡聲。

Oh, maybe the voice was made - but never heard.

PS. For those who are not familiar with the term Eraritjaritjaka, I would suggest the article of this title by Joris Nauwelaers in The Lancet on December 23, 2000, page 2169.

2 comments:

K said...

Hey.. I really liked that article.
Mm... partly because I lived in Australia for yonkas and have never heard of that Aboriginal word... and because his perspective is so complete and his motive passionate..
but the solution?

TW said...

悄悄的我走了,正如我悄悄的來,我揮一揮衣袖,不帶走一片雲彩。

Haha, I like this, I really don't like those "farewell speech", so fake.