Saturday, August 2, 2008

Standard

Ever since Vivian went to Osaka, I had to lunch alone every Saturday.

As a rule, it is rather inconvenient - to say the least - to lunch or dine outside on your own. Last week I visited a local hamburger shop, which is highly recommended by the gourmet's web site Openrice. Let's call it Season's Fast Food.

It is a small store at Hung Hum, with a hue of the 1970's, and obviously run by a family. You can find almost any kinds of thing here: rice, spaghetti, sandwich, hot dog, and what not.

But hamburger is what makes it famous.

I tried the double-cheese-burger with egg. Well, there might be better ones (say, in Triple O's) - but I was entirely satisfied. The hamburger meat was home-made and had a rich flavour of onion, the cheese was half-melt into the piece of bread, and the egg was pan-fried to an irregular shape - to me a human touch as compared to those mechanical circles you find in other chain stores.

I can see the shop thriving, but I can also sense it striving. Her market place is slowly whip out by McDonald's and other big names. It is obvious: size is an advantage.

Alas, we thought it a laughter when watching Modern Times of Charlie Chaplain a hundred years ago. I'm not sure we still find it a comedy nowadays - we may have lost that sense of humour after eating eggs all in mechanical circles.

No comments: