Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Outcome

My nostalgia yesterday was partly a result of the Curriculum Retreat on Saturday.

For a faculty of nearly 1500 academic and honorary staff, the attendance of the retreat could hardly be called satisfactory. That's expected. This yearly event has shifted from a regular review of the curriculum to a somewhat irrelevant agenda - written in an extra-terrestrial language.

The only interesting bit of the presentation came from an unlikely corner: the professor of anesthesia talked about the admission category, criteria, and system of interview for our medical students. Although I'm around for over 15 years, this was the first time I heard of it.

And, to my amazement, the requirement now is so high that I myself would be a marginal candidate - or more likely I would end up with my second choice and became a journalist.

PS. You may wonder how could (at least some of) the crème de la crème undergo metamorphosis and become troublesome students and house officers. As our recently retired part-time endocrinologist loved to quote: Men are born ignorant but not stupid; they are made stupid by education.

No comments: