Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cartoon

My Indonesian maid is having a holiday to see her family; Vivian and I each take a week off and look after Euterpe.

It is my turn first.

No, I did not bring my daughter to visit local theme park or museum. We spent most of the days visiting supermarkets and exploring our home. (I had some good time enjoying cookery experiments too.)

One of the favorite activities of my daughter is watching videos of Mickey and his friends in You Tube, especially the ones in 1930s to 1950s. You know what, although the resolution was poor and the sound track was often fragmented, cartoons from that era are surprisingly entertaining - even for a modern audience like me.

Those were the days when the producers did not have to make sure the films are educational and no hint of (sexual, racial, or by any other possible and impossible interpretation) discrimination.

Alas, if we seriously want to make our next generation bubble babies and prevent them from seeing "bad examples", we should do away with all newspapers - and the subject called History in their school.

No comments: