Friday, June 12, 2009

Open

While we were driving back home after our Saturday lunch, Vivian asked me a casual question, "Would you mind if Euterpe, say, 10 or 20 years later, tells you that she wishes to join the 35th May gathering at Victoria Park ?"

"Oh, of course not." I thought for a while, and went on, "But we should not tell your mother - she would go mad."

Vivian chuckled. If I am an atheist in politics, my half mother is a head-to-toe non-believer, and she has every possible and impossible paranoid idea on all misfortunes after a gathering of this kind.

"On the other hand, there would be no problem to tell your mother - she is absolutely open-minded." My wife added.

"Quite true," I agreed, "In fact, she is so open that she would not object if her children or grandchildren go for a meeting to support what had happened."

Although I'm not sure that's a good thing or not, I must thank my mother for bringing me up in such an atmosphere of freedom.

No comments: