Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mentor

One of the guests whom I met was the man who used to have a moustache.

I did not have a chance to dine with him for some 12 years - since he moved to the other side of the harbour. (I would not reiterate the story between a mischievous senior nephrologist and his malicious student; it's not a romantic story.)

Alas, while my friends KM and VW talk so freely about their mentors, I have difficulty to do so: the two supervisors who wrote on my training record 15 years ago broke up with each other.

And I had to turn away from both of them ...

Well, as an adoring student, I should be secretly satisfied with the dinner yesterday, because my teacher did appear very happy and told elaborated stories to entertain the others.

Or was it merely a sign of loneliness ?

PS. For a long time, I have a deja vu feeling that he is Ren Woxing (任我行) and I being Linghu Chong (令狐沖). By coincidence, The Smiling Proud Wanderer (笑傲江湖) was written in the year that I was born.

2 comments:

JW said...

My mentor also spoke bitterly about his mentor. And this bitter experience made him the greatest mentor in the solar system.

Vincent Wong said...

Yes, your talents can be described by the essence of 獨孤九劍.