Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Lesson

I must admit I learnt a great deal from the man who used to have a moustache.

The most valuable skill that he showed me was the indirect methods to achieve your goal. One favorite story that I was fortunate enough to take part was this:

*********************

In the era when the moustache-man was still working north to the harbour, one day, he received a supposedly confidential mail, sent as fax to his own office, from some overseas organization. To cut a long description short, the fax contained valuable information (oh, no, not examination questions) for trainees and junior doctors.

The problem was: How could he let the others know if the document had a CONFIDENTIAL mark on the top ?

It probably took him no more than 5 seconds to find a solution.

He brought the fax, went out of his office, hold the paper in its full length, and (good luck for me) saw me walking along the corridor.

He eagerly waved at me.

I walked towards my boss, but found him talking (slowly) on some irrelevant trivial matters.

"What's really the matter ?" I asked myself.

In no time I noticed the long piece of paper that he was holding, and began to read it. I could see it plainly that he was not hiding the document from me.

It took a while for me to finish, and, all of a sudden, my teacher stopped talking the trivial matter and dived back to his office.

And it became my job to tell the important message to the others.

No comments: