Thursday, February 18, 2010

不高興

Overheard the dialog between a couple - on the Valentine's day.

*******************************

"I tell you this: I am not happy." The girl said.

"Eh ... ?" Her little boyfriend was at a lost.

"Listen. I have make a lot of money in these years, and, in fact, you owe me quite some penny. You have to stop leading the way and say this and that. I am not happy. I hold the purse and I should lead. Do you remember, a few years ago, I already made it clear. I have the money. I could say no !"

The man was silent. He wished to say it was the girl's mother - her landlady - who made a lot of money. But he swallowed the idea back.

At last, he said, with a not-that-pacifying tone, "Yes, yes. In fact you could always express your opinion and say no to any of my suggestion if you do not find acceptable - it does not depend on the amount of money in your purse. After all, your self-esteem should not be based on money or whatever. If you do not first respect yourself, who else would do so ?"

*******************************

On this, I would slightly modify the saying of Su Xun (蘇洵) in An Essay on the Six Kingdoms (六國論):

茍以天下之大,而從閨閣女兒之故事,是又在村間愚婦下矣!

No comments: