Friday, February 26, 2010

Tempura

Lunch with Vivian in a Japanese restaurant specialized in tempura.

We've tried this one some years ago, and the dishes are always superb. This time, while I was busy with the deep fried veges, my wife suddenly said, "Do you notice that man?" She pointed at a middle-age chef, "He's probably the most senior one besides the main chef from Japan. He is very smart and could always spot who needs some more tea or their table cleaned."

"Well, I see the same thing, but have a different conclusion." I found myself Hercule Poirot and was speaking to Arthur Hastings.

"Eh ..." obviously my wife could not see what I meant.

"Yes, he stands there and is quick to spot what we customers need. It gives him all the bonus. But, remember, he is a chef - and I did not quite see him attending the stove or the food."

I refrained myself from saying the word window dressing - human being could not face too much reality.

No comments: