Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pathologist

(continue)

I started my work on one of the specimens that afternoon. It was a woman's pelvis, cut into half from the middle. My original plan was to show the blood vessels and nerves that supply the uterus and bladder.

But I met difficulty very soon. In the next morning, I showed the specimen to Ching and said, "Em ... this pelvis seems a bit weird. The organs are sticking together."

"This woman was a street-sleeper who was found dead. Nobody claims for the body, and therefore it ends up here. I noticed the point you mentioned as soon as I received it. You see, the peritoneum is all thick and spongy. It means inflammation - or what they called peritonitis. I have checked and the appendix appeared normal, but there was a hole on the duodenum. Obviously she died of perforated peptic ulcer ..." he explained.

My eyes were wide open. That was literally the first lecture of human pathology for me.

The new friend of mine was obviously in the best of his mood. He went on and point to the other pelvis that he gave me yesterday, "You see. This men was said to have prostate cancer and multiple metastasis. But, look, the prostate is small and contracted. The pelvic bone also appeared OK. I don't think he had the disease at all !"

"Then why did he die ?" I asked.

He laughed, "Oh, don't be silly. His lungs were hell - that's why I threw them away."

***************************

Later in my clinical years, many teachers said that one could learn a lot simply by staying in the ward. I was always skeptical with this suggestion because, if it works, all hospital amah should become consultant physicians.

Nonetheless, there remain some highly gifted and motivated few who, despite having no formal teaching, could acquired an incredible amount knowledge and insight simply by staying in the field for long enough.

Do rest in peace.

PS. I turned the two pelvis into specimens showing the nerves and muscles of the pelvic floor and perineaum - which (I was happy to know) were still in use until very recently.

1 comment:

TW said...

Is there any dissection class for anatomy nowadays? Heard it was cancelled?