Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Volume

While thinking of the choice of medical textbook, my memory brought me back to the student days.

Many of you may know I used Harrison's during medical school. Although the whole thing has an arm-breaking weight, it was conveniently divided into two volumes in those days: Book I covered approach to clinical problems, infectious disease, and cardiology, while Book II dealt with the other sub-specialties. The result was I brought only Book II around with me (after finishing cardiology in the summer vacation), leaving the other half for long holidays.

Later when I became a physician trainee, I mentioned this to the man who still had a moustache during a casual conversation, and the mischievous nephrologist could not stop laughing.

"Why ! I brought Book I around when I was a student because only the part on clinical approach is important !" My mentor pointed out.

On this, I would slightly modified the sayings of Ayn Rand to express my view:

The truth is universal; it finds the textbook only as a medium of expression.

No comments: