Monday, June 20, 2011

30th

In the next evening, I went to the Faculty Dinner, which celebrates the 30th anniversary of our medical school.

And, yes, it is also 20 years since my class graduated. For that reason, many of my classmates were there; we filled up three tables and there were a few others scattering around. I believe it was purely for the reputation of DL (our organizer), our tables were immediately next to the stage.

You may ask: How's the evening?

I must say it reflected very well the tradition of our medical school: All speakers were horrible and everything happening on the stage dreadful - but our class had a good time because we enjoyed ourselves. For example, when the man from Pluto was making his speech, we naughty students were playing musical chairs, in order to decide who should open the champagne bottles - and we could all finished a glass or two before the speech was over !

********************************

The King of the Round Table also spoke. Contrary to his usual self, His Highness did it rather badly this time, and he actually lost his temper on a few occasions. Yes, it was tough to teach and live in those poorly air-conditioned containers - I know because I had the privilege to be there, and I would only thank those people who gave me the chance of such an extraordinary experience.

You know, in those days I put a small motto on my desk: 毋忘在莒,莊敬自強。

PS. The phrase, which originated from Chiang Kai-Shek (蔣介石), is obviously politically incorrect. The simplified English translation may be: We are in the minority, but we shall respect ourselves.

No comments: