Thursday, December 22, 2011

30

While I was impressed by H's strategy of advertising himself, in the following afternoon, I voted in the Chief Executive Selection Election Subcommittee election.


As an ordinary doctor with dyslexia, it was in fact a trying task to vote this time. There were some 80 candidates running and we have to pick 30 from the list. Although there are a few obvious name lists, candidates of those did not appear in consecutive numbers, and I am sure no medical practitioner could remember a list of 30 names or numbers - people with such an extraordinary memory and intelligence should have found a better job in the financial market.

Therefore, at the end of the day, I picked only seven or eight - there were overwhelmingly so many that I certainly did not want to be elected.

But, as soon as I walked out from the voting center, I regretted. 

Mine was the worst strategy to achieve my own purpose. By the law of game theory, I should pick a full list of 30 - not for the purpose of fully executing my right, but to increase the chance of winning of those who I was not particularly against, so that they could have an edge over H and those who rose to the top but were not the cream.

I shall do better next time.

PS. On the contrary, picking 7 or 8 (when you could pick 30) is the appropriate strategy when there are a few candidates who you definitely want to win, and you do not really care who else on the list come out.

1 comment:

Vincent Wong said...

Does H care about winning?