Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mad

While I was reviewing my investment portfolio, my friend JW recommends in his Facebook a nice book on financial analysis by a local author.

It was 《一名經人》 by Law Ka Chung (羅家聰)

In no time, a friend of us made the following comment: Don't you think trying to analyse the stock market is like trying to guess whether a mad man wandering in a psyche hospital will take a left turn or right turn with his next move?

For this, a little talk of Hercule Poirot (in The ABC Murders) flashed through my mind:


It is no answer to say that the man was mentally unhinged... A madman is as logical and reasoned in his actions as a sane man - given his peculiar biased point of view. For example, if a man insist on going out and squatting about in nothing but a loin cloth his conduct seems eccentric in the extreme. But once you know that the man himself is firmly convinced that he is Mahatma Gandhi, then his conduct becomes perfectly reasonable and logical.

1 comment:

JW said...

Unfortunately, I am often considered the mad man ..... Don't you know I bought shares of Western insurance companies for my daughter's birthday gift last week?