Sunday, January 22, 2012

Streetlamp


(The conversation continued.)

The daughter was silent for a moment. Her father decided to change a bit of the topic, “My dear, do you have any favorite star?”

“Em… yes, dad,” the girl hesitated for a moment, “I like the one over the other corner of the street.”

Her father laughed, “Don't be silly, sweetheart. That’s not a star – it’s a streetlamp!”

"Is it? To me, they are quite the same," the girl explained, "The lamppost was high up, and its light showed me the way when it is dark. Dad, there's a trap round that corner and people often got stuck when they pass there at night. But, when I see the lamppost, I feel warm and safe with the humble light. It is a gorgeous star to me all the same."

"Well, you may have a point. But, don't you think the star is more important? The Polaris leads the way of thousands of sailors for hundreds of years!" The father said.

"Dad, I am not a sailor, and I don't quite have a plan to travel far. All I want is to wander around the village every night, and, for that purpose, the streetlamp is the best guiding star - the Polaris is too high up and a little dim for me."

The father was speechless. All of a sudden he found his daughter had already grown up.

Have a nice lunar new year eve.

2 comments:

KM Chow said...

Well said

TW said...

Being someone's daughter myself, I genuinely congrats you if you can truly appreciate that at this early time-point.