Sunday, May 6, 2012

Miscellany


Shortly after I finished with Shinzanmono, I read The Yes Minister Miscellany by Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn.

It is a gift from my friend KM. In reality, this tiny volume could hardly be regarded as a book, but, rather, represents a handy collection of humorous sayings and conversations from Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

I must confess I am a fan of this series – or, specifically, Humphrey Appleby. If there’s anyone who wants to learn real English, the fictitious Cabinet Secretary was never tired of showing you brilliant demonstrations.

Of course, we may not need a very sophisticated language. For example:

Jim Hacker: But we can’t stab our partners in the back and spit in their face.
Bernard Woolley: You can’t stab anyone in the back while you spit in their face.

The principal private secretary should really come and teach our students anatomy if not practical politics.

No comments: