Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Summary

(Our discussion continued - after I knew eventually what my friend was talking about.)

"My friend, the discharge summary of our patient is different - there is a specific format to follow and certain things that must be put down." I protested.

"Are there?" L smiled, "In that case, since you are so fond of The Battle of Changping (長平之戰), whose account do you think is better? Sima Qian (司馬遷) or Sima Guang (司馬光)? Similarly, as to the life and time of Jesus, is it Matthew or John?"

I knew my friend meant Record of the Grand Historian (史記) and A Comprehensive Mirror to Aid in Government (資治通鑑), as well as the Holy Bible.

Seeing that I had expressive dysphasia, my friend went on, "You see? To say the least, there is no single ideal format to follow, and, depending on your purpose, the same happenings could be summarized in two disparate ways - with a variety of length."

"I suppose that's the reason why we avoid testing how to write a discharge summary in the final examination!?" I was forced to agree.

No comments: