Thursday, July 17, 2008

Air

Industry in China is facing problems - I see it from the air quality.

You know what. Most of the evenings I go home by taxi via the Kwun Tong Bypass, where I could see the other side of the harbour. Contrary to the expectation of many tourists, the scene could hardly be called impressive - at least in the recent few years. There is always fog and smog; the neon lights from the Hong Kong island seem dim and dingy - the previous colony looks like London more than ever.

But there is a change. Recently I could enjoy the beauty of our famous harbour view once again. The sky is often clear, and I could appreciate much details of the advertisement boards across the sea. I search in the web site of the Environment Protection Department, and learn that the Air Pollution Index of the second quarter of this year (i.e. after all workers coming back from the New Year holiday, and all factories are in full gear) was the second of the best since 2000.

Of course it could be natural variation.

And we got a lot of rain lately.

And our CE would like to claim some credit.

Nonetheless it remains worrying.

PS. I have paranoid personality disorder, I know.

1 comment:

TW said...

You are not paranoid, industries in the south part are indeed shrinking. The fittest survive.