Friday, July 18, 2008

Girardet

Those who visited my Facebook profile frequently would note that I have been reading a book called Girardet for quite some time.

Seriously I am not reading the book - just flip it through every now and then. Fredy Girardet is one of the three (generally regarded as) best chefs in late twentieth century, and the book is a nice summary of his recipe.

Oh, no. I do not have time to try those experiments as yet. But I will - enjoying the cuisine may satisfy your palate, but trying them out by yourself is a different kind of great fun.

I always regard cookery a kind of laboratory study: you plan ahead what to do, collect the ingredients, mix them in proper sequence, and (the good deal of the time being) wait. You know what, I often ask junior doctors who claim an interest in laboratory study whether they enjoy cookery - it seems an excellent screening test on personality.

No comments: