Thursday, July 3, 2008

Dazai

In the next morning we set off to know the whereabout and tried to buy some daily needs for Vivian. We soon entered a large local 100-yen store, which we could have almost everything in need - even some that we had not thought of.

What happened was I find myself in the stationery corner for some minutes, appreciating a large collection of plastic named-seal for all common Japanese family name.

"Don't be silly," Vivian said, "There will not be yours."

Of course, I think. But soon an idea came to my mind, and I continued the search, "I know which Japanese name - if there is the seal - would suite me."

"Eh?" Vivian was incredulous.

I said, "It is Dazai (太宰)."

"Well ... ?" my wife was at a lost.

"太宰 [Dazai] was the title of a government official in the Warring States Period of ancient China (戰國時代), with the capacity similar to 司徒 [Szeto] in the Han Dynasty," I went on to explain, "and there was the famous Japanese novelist Osamu Dazai (太宰治)."

No comments: