Thursday, December 4, 2008

Education

You may think the story of Templeton weird.

Not at all. I have a similar first-hand experience.

Most of the early graduates of my medical school would recall for several years our internal medicine teaching did not include hematology. Well, we had some fragmented idea from our pathologists, pediatricians, and oncologists - but there's just no one dealing with blood diseases in adult.

We realized this at the beginning of the final year. There were 10 of us in a group, and I forget who made a (later proved to be) brilliant suggestion: We choose three (or four, I cannot recollect) group mates to study one major topic each and do a seminar presentation every (I believed) Thursday afternoon. (My topic was approach to bleeding diathesis.)

That was still the time before Bill Gates invented PowerPoint, and we had to use either overhead transparencies or white board / sign-pen for presentation.

And that story reminds me: our students could (should ?) settle many problems themselves. No baby would ever use the toilet if you keep them on a napkin.

PS. Of course (part of) the problem now is our baby doctors are wandering in 5-star hotels build of precious stones; management consultants would never take the risk of soiling the floor by removing the napkin from a baby !

No comments: