Sunday, December 14, 2008

Survive

I always wonder what would happen if she didn't jump.

In fact I do not have to imagine. There was no short of examples that our students turned psychotic or depressed and continued with the study (or, on a few occasions, doctors developed mental problems and kept on the practice).

You may consider that good news. It is no doubt better than losing the life. Nonetheless, the disease and its treatment both adversely affect the concentration as well as mental sharpness. (Let's face it. This is a disease - it won't go away simply because her parents paid more attention or her friends talked to her more. And, despite of the advances in psychopharmacology, drugs that treat a brain problem would affect the neurons.)

The inevitable result was those survivors always struggled in the medical school. Some even sat on the rooftop of the student hostel or put a knife around his neck and said, "Let me pass the final or I would kill myself."

And our man from Pluto did put up green lights obediently.

I shouldn't say any more.

No comments: