Friday, December 19, 2008

Election

Lunch with LS and FP; our discussion somehow touched on the recent election of certain society chairman north to the Shenzhen river.

"You know, although there are no less than 10,000 members of the society, there are no more than 20 who could vote for the chairman." I said.

"True." FP considered for while, "but general election would hardly solve the problem. It may actually make things worse."

I must admit there is much truth in it. And all of a sudden I realize it is never a problem of small circle election - as long as the one being elected could fulfill the dedicated task.

Of course fans of general election would argue that a truly democratic system could make sure an inappropriate ruler has a (bloodless civilized) mechanism to step down. Nonetheless I suspect a small (talented) circle could bring down any potential dictator equally well.

Alas, am I having a deja vu feeling of proposing the senate system of the Roman empire ?

No comments: