Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Arguments

On my way back from the consulate office, I received a remarkable email forwarded from KM.

Here it goes:

*******************************

Dear KM,

Thank you so much for teaching us these past few days during the ward round, clinics and other periods in the hospital... I am really grateful for it. But may I let you know something behind the scene and suggest some of my personal opinions?

You must have noticed that a lot of medical students like your teaching very much, no matter ward rounds, clinics, bedside teaching etc, there are always crowds of people around you. You would never mind it and welcome every student to join, but in fact, there have been so much arguments between classmates who are assigned to your wards and students assigned to other wards nearby. Everyone wants to have the chance being taught by you, so even they are not attaching to your ward, they also want to join your ward round or clinics, but those who have been assigned would be afraid that their chance to be deprived and so they would refuse other fellow classmates to come.

I myself was not attaching to your wards during my medical attachment, and as expected, the group of students who follow your round everyday at that time said I and my group-mates should not go to their wards and join because you do not like too many people...

The same problem also appear in extra bedside teaching... For those who are attaching to your wards, they can always have the first priority to approach you and asked for extra bedside during the week, while for others who may also hope to share the chance will always be disappointed. Therefore, a lot of arguments, misunderstanding and even relationship problems between classmates will arise from here.

I know you are such an enthusiastic teacher to medical students... but from my point of view, the problem of getting attached to popular doctors and sharing extra bedsides, etc. has become increasingly severe... I believe you would be the most suitable person to help in this difficult condition and prevent misunderstanding... may I suggest that from the next module, you can encourage those students who are assigned to attaching your ward to share good cases and clinic attachment with others attaching to nearby wards, and for the extra bedside, may I also suggest to avoid giving the teaching to the same group for many times but no chance leave for other groups?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I must say the effect of revealing this email is really comparable to the Hiroshima bombing.