Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Resign

(My little talk with Humphrey Appleby continued.)

"How about Andrew ? What do you think of his resignation ?" The permenant secretary was in the best of his mood.

"There must be a reason behind, but I just couldn't figure it out."

"I think that's plain enough ?"

"Come on. It's plain enough to you."

"Why? Let's be a moment of Sherlock Holmes and exclude the impossibles. Since it is close to the 60th ceremony and Donald is busy with putting out other fires, Andrew must have resigned by his own wish."

"I can understand that."

"Then, the problem is why. Let's advance ourselves and become Hercule Poirot: On the balance of probability, isn't it most likely that he does not want to see that basic thing being explained by the higher authority again ?"

"Well, yes. Let me see. Is there anything that needs further explanation ? Do you mean the judicial review on whether the Select Committee could summon witness ?" I hesitated.

"I didn't suggest anything." The permanent secretary of the cabinet put up a wicked smile.

"Em ... but the resignation does suggest what Andrew thought of the case !" Like Hastings, I was forced to the conclusion.

No comments: