Saturday, September 5, 2009

School

I took a few days off recently - Euterpe just began schooling.

Although I said began, my daughter attended some preparatory class for three weeks, so much so she could recognize two of the teachers and knew quite well the whereabouts of the classroom. However, it remained quite a chaos. The rooms and corridors were filled with struggling children and anxious parents, half of the latter trying to pacify their own kids, while the other half taking the chance to make photos and videos.

Our malicious nephrologist was neither. Euterpe was not completely well and kept sneezing, with occasional bursts of an annoying cough. Nonetheless, the morning was not entirely boring. Towards the end of it, the headmaster of the nursery made a speech. The father and the daughter had no choice but sat in the hall and listen. To our surprise, the speaker went on for 45 minutes and there was no sign of finishing.

The girl whispered at my ears, "Let's go home. I'm sleepy."

I tapped on her shoulders, and she just yawned.

Some ten minutes later, the speaker said, "Just one last point ..."

My daughter jumped up and shouted, "Good, go home !"

All of a sudden, no fewer than half of the parents and kids woke up and marched out of the hall. I had no idea if our headmaster could really finish with her last point; we left, and soon did the rest of the class.

And, of course, once outside the school, my princess was as energetic as ever.

No comments: