Friday, September 4, 2009

Cook

I am recently reading What Einstein Told His Cook by Robert Wolke as my bedtime reading.

It is a present from my friend KM, who obviously knows my interest just too well. The book is an eye-opening experience for those with interest in both cookery and natural science, with the connection between the two beautifully demonstrated.

Of course, the book is far from perfect - at least in the eye of a critical reader with special interest in biological science. Wolke is a chemist by training, and he is certainly highly meticulous in the topics of sugar, salt, heat, and microwave, but his weakness in discerning individual food material is equally obvious. There's even no discrimination between beef and pork, not to say various species of fish.

(In fact, I am also slightly disappointed for the lack of a detailed discussion on vinegar and wine, as well as the reaction between the two, which generate the fruity smell of ethyl acetate.)

Alas, I enjoy thumbing through the pages in many lovely evening and really shouldn't complain that much.

No comments: