Friday, October 9, 2009

Share

Vivian was on call on the National Day, and I brought Euterpe to a furniture chain-store to spend our morning.

I was joined by my sister, Jenny, her husband Louis, and my niece, Seraphe - who is three months younger than Euterpe. In fact, the place was recommended by my sister some weeks ago, "You must bring your daughter here - she would love it."

I was slightly incredulous to begin with: What's there for a kid of two ?

But my sister was entirely right. The two little angels were both overjoyed - everything was a new experience. They tried every bed, sat every sofa, and hugged every Teddy bear (as well as other toy animals). There were also some miniature kitchenwares, and the two girls - together with half a dozen of other children - shared and played.

"Why ? The two girls seem more happy than staying at home. In fact, they do not fight for the toys, which they usually do when Seraphe comes and visits us." I asked myself on my way back.

"That's simple," When I mentioned the story to Vivian the next day, she commented, "Euterpe understood that the toys were not hers; there's no ownership to defend, and therefore she was willing to share."

I suspect that's the rare occasion when genuine communism does work.

No comments: