Tuesday, March 2, 2010

FRCPP

(During the interview for a new physician.)

"I had my training completed on the moon. It's an extensive program. For example, I have six months of training dedicated to rehabilitation." The candidate said.

"Right. But, you know, this is a general hospital, and acute emergency is equally important. Do you have any experience in handling all urgent conditions in a coronary care unit ?" Asked from the other side of the table.

"Sure. I did CCU for three months as part of my training. In fact, that doesn't cover everything. I know intubation and things like that because I also spent another three months in the intensive care unit - following the anesthetist." The young physician was confident.

"That's all important," the chairman agreed, "Is there anything other experience you have ?"

"A lot," The candidate replied, "As requested by my college, I have some experience in dealing with medical problems complicating pregnancy. I actually worked in a center specialized for complicated pregnancy for 3 months ..."

The evening went on, and the candidate seemed to have an endless list of special experience. Towards the end of the interview, the chairman asked, "Actually, how much time was left for you to spend on your own sub-speciality ?"

There was, finally, a moment of silence.

The senior physician went on, "By the way, what actually is that qualification FRCPP you hold ?"

"Sir, it stands for Fellow of the Republic College of Piecemeal Physician."

No comments: