Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Legal

I was recently invited to the coroner's court for another case. (For the previous incident, see http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2009/12/witness.html)

By coincidence, I went to the same court and met the same judge.

This time, I arrived a bit early, and had to sat outside the room and wait.

Two notices on the wall soon attracted my attention - they were handwritten in Nepali.

Right above them there were two notices, written in both Chinese and English. One said that the hearing was transmitted to two other rooms (presumably because very many people were interested). The other described how one could obtain facility for simultaneous translation - again, to Nepali.

I clearly remembered the two pieces of paper were not there when I came a few months ago.

Some minutes later, the secretary of the court came. We exchanged a brief greetings, and I asked what's that all about.

"Oh, the hearing in the next room is about a Nepali man. There are so many of them from his friend and family come. That's all." My new friend explained.

I nodded; my respect to our legal system was better than ever.

No comments: