Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Account

After finished telling a story in Euterpe's kindergarten, I went to the bank to open an account for Adler.

(My younger daughter is almost 6-month-old now; Vivian and I believe it is a good idea to have a bank account for her to save up the red-pocket money. Euterpe has the same arrangement, with the account tagged to Vivian. Therefore I plan to have Adler's one tagged to me in order to avoid confusion.)

To begin with, I thought the process was easy. (After all, it took no more than 20 minutes when we set up the account for Euterpe in 2007.)

And I arrived at the bank at 9 AM sharp. I am a (so-called) "prestigious" customer, the first to arrived at the counter, and was served immediately.

"What could we do for you ?" A friendly woman sat at the other side of the desk asked.
"I want to set up an account for my daughter, and here are the relevant documents," I replied and showed her a pile of paper that I prepared in advance.
"OK, do you just want a saving account, or are you also going to do some investment - mutual fund or stock or whatever - for your daughter?" She asked again.
"Everything," I said, "We had the same for our elder daughter."

In retrospect, her face appeared funny in response to my answer - it was a mixture of sympathy and helplessness.

******************************

I left the bank at 10:30 AM.

Yes, it took 90 minutes to set up the account. My feeling was no better than our medical student going through a OSCE.

Let me tell you what happened tomorrow.

No comments: