Friday, January 21, 2011

Electronic

As to the Pandora Box of electronic filing, it actually began a few years ago - before I had the problem with my system of keeping hard copies.

To begin with, the Nature Publishing Group created Connotea - a free online reference management service - since late 2004. I was, in fact, one of the first few who signed up for this service. Papers and their corresponding hyperlinks were saved; tags could be added for easy searching. I used it for a few months but was forced to give up - the information to fill in for each paper was slightly complicated (for someone with dyslexia like me), the server was not very stable and often slow.

(I still try the system once or twice each year - just to see if the system has improved - but to no avail as yet.)

In 2006, I bought a new laptop computer. In it there was a pre-installed software: Microsoft OneNote - a program that was designed for notes taking and information management.

I must say the program is easy to use; text and images could be conveniently pasted and organized (and with the very useful screen capture function) - just that I do not have it installed in the desktop computer of my office, where most of the work is done.

How about buying a new copy?

It's not all that expensive. The problem is, for the new versions (2007 and 2010), that is sold in bundle with the entire Microsoft Office.

And, everyone who tried to use this product of Bill Gates would agree the new Office is really a modern one - full of bureaucracy and procrastination; you can never find what you need or do what you want in a convenient way.

Therefore I decide to keep my old Office and forget about a new OneNote.

No comments: