Friday, January 14, 2011

Potter

Watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 with Vivian.

I must say I am no fan of the boy with glasses and lightning birthmark. Yes, it is a pleasure to see Hermione Granger, and, I dare say, Luna Lovegood.

But the film is slightly dull this time. I have not read the original fiction by JK Rowling, but I suppose David Yates leaves all interesting bit to the second part, and it seems an inevitable result if you split a book into two movies. (No, that's hardly an excuse. Peter Jackson did it much better for JRR Tolkien's masterpiece.)

*********************************

On my way home, I suddenly realized there's actually very little difference between Harry Potter and martial arts fictions - just that the characters fight with each other by curses and spells and wands rather than qigong (氣功) and sword.

Well, if you find no analogy between the story in Hogwarts and those described by Jin Yong (金庸) or Liang Yusheng (梁羽生), go read The Biography of Shushan Swordsman (蜀山劍俠傳) by Huan Zhu Lou Zhu (還珠樓主).

The difference lies in their marketing.

Alas, you may say The Biography was never finished - the story broke off around the time of changover in China.

Right. That's the main difference.

No comments: