Thursday, January 20, 2011

Filing

But my problem did not end there. I used the method of filing useful journal pages since 2001, and it worked well until recently.

There is more than one problem. To begin with, I did not receive several issues of some of my subscriptions last year - only to discover when my friend KM tried to discuss with me the recent literature.

And, as my collection files grow fatter after ten years, it is increasing more difficult to extract useful information when I need them.

Of course, since the birth of Euterpe and Adler, I also paid inevitably less attention to maintain the system.

What should I do?

The obvious answer is: go electronic.

That opens the Pandora Box.

PS. For those who are interested to keep yourself update on medical literature, there are actually two problems to solve. First, one needs a secure system to receive and read the list of journals that you select. Second, we need a filing system so that we could trace back the information when required (often when we have only a vague memory on what the topic is).

That's whey we do not be too ambitious with our list. As Sherlock Holmes said in A Study in Scarlet: A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it.

No comments: