Monday, January 24, 2011

Discipline

Went to Euterpe's kindergarten and told a story.

Frequent visitors of this blog would know I did the same thing last year. (See http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2010/05/story.html) This year, my daughter moved to a new school and I faced a group of different students.

Similar to last year, I brought a picture story book and did some rehearsal in advance to make sure of the time-keeping. To begin with, I expected I would met some lovely girls sitting there and I would showed them the pictures in the book while going through the story.

But I was wrong.

Yes, there were around 20 kids (mostly girls). They were led into the playroom (where I was going to do my deed) by two teachers - both of them disappeared as soon as the children said good morning to me and settled in their chairs. (By the way, although I am literally a teacher for nearly 12 years, this is the first time the students in my class said good morning to me.)

And, as soon as there was no teacher and I was alone telling the story, almost everyone of them stood up and tried to say something to attract my attention:

"Oh, I cannot see the picture !"
"Can I come closer? I want to see what's there on the rabbit's hand."
"Can I touch this and that ?"
(Alas, the list is endless.)

I must say I began to worry how well disciplined these children - and my daughter - could be.

**************************

The 20 minutes of story-telling session passed quickly without my notice. A funny sound suddenly appeared in the air, and, before I could realize it was the school-bell, all the excited kids turned silent. In no time they formed a line, waved goodbye to me, and went off the room one by one - heading to their own classrooms.

My mouth was wide open.

After a brief moment, I pulled myself together again, picked my belongings, and left the playroom, only to find the headmaster smiling outside the corridor.

Well, she had more than good enough reasons to be proud of.

1 comment:

JW said...

Discipline needs to be conditional. And this is an art that most great people are good at.