Sunday, January 2, 2011

Soup

An old story that is familiar to most of us (and I add a little spice):

***********************

A courtier told the King, "Sir, I could make the most delicious soup with a piece of stone - just that you have to allow me to do so."

The master cheered up, "Why! I cannot believe it. Well, go ahead and have a try by all means."

With that order, the courtier picked up a piece of stone and put it in his pocket. Then he got a large pot of water and went to the royal garden in the palace, where he found a junior staff.

He showed the staff that pot of water, "The King asks me to make a good soup from this. Give me some potatoes."

Not accustomed to asking any question, the latter duly complied.

The courtier then bring the pot of potato water to the head gardener

"Look. The King asks me to prepare some soup. Give me the potatoes, tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms."

Seeing that the courtier was taking an imperial order and the project had already started, the head gardener didn't think she was in the position to refuse. The list of vegetable was ready in no time.

Now, you could imagine the rest: The courtier got some meat from the butcher, and all the herbs he needed from the pharmacist. Seeing that he had got many of the ingredients and the project was on-going, none of the persons he encountered doubted why and how it was started.

(To be continued.)

No comments: