Sunday, April 15, 2012

Card

(Cont’d)

My friend returned after another 15 minutes or so. Our journey was, after this little incident, peaceful and unremarkable.

When everything was over, I eventually met my friend when we were both standing in front of the carousel and waiting for our luggage.

"I saw that you were answering to the call. What's going on?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing," FW smiled, "A young woman had a bad palpitation after our plane took off."

"Was she just anxious?" I went on.

"No, the cause was rather obvious. She had a big goitre and her eyes are almost falling out. She had every sign of thyroid hormone excess that you find in any textbook."

"But what could you do?" I was curious.

"Very little. I just asked her to relax and reminded her to see a doctor when she arrived Hong Kong. Well, I believe a tablet of propranolol would help for a while. To bad they do not have any on the flight."

"But I saw that you came back and fetch a small box! Why on earth do you travel with this sort of medicine as hand carry?" I became incredulous.

"Alas, don't be silly. I don't have any with me either," my friend smiled with embarrassment, "I just tried to give her my name card!"

No wonder FW shortly became one of the most busy private nephrologists in the city.

No comments: