Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Retire


Being invited to a political dinner – it was not entirely boring even for someone with autistic personality disorder like me.

We met SF, a recently retired senior nephrologist. Knowing perfectly well that he’s a workaholic, one of us asked how he found his life now.

“Oh, it is true that I have retired from the hospital, but I’m still working,” he said, putting up a humble smile, “I’m just 60 and it’s too early to do nothing. I am actually working now for the the university to teach health care administration and risk management.”

I nodded; the job was probably an ideal one for him.

“Why don’t you come out and practice?” Another one of us asked.

“Seriously I’d love to. But, by the time I realize I’m about to retire, it’s too late to set up a clinic myself.” SF said indifferently.

“Why?” We all asked at the same time.

“Young men, lend me your ears,” SF suddenly became serious, “If you think you need to start a private practice eventually, do so before the age of 55. Otherwise you would find it tiring – if not difficult – to compete with doctors of the younger generation.”

Considering the story of other senior physicians who retired recently, I was forced to agree.

No comments: