Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Study


(The dinner went on.)

I was sitting next to YL, a consultant from our brother department. After my brief congratulation for his recent promotion, our discussion came to colleagues who left us for private practice in recent months.

“I hear that A has sold his office. Where is he now?” My friend asked.

(A was a previous colleague of ours but started his own practice shortly after SARS.)

“He’s back to school in UK,” I said, “No, nothing to do with medicine. I think he is taking up an entirely different subject – purely for his own interest.”

“Oh, in other words he has retired!” YL pursed his lips, “How admiring! I always fancy I could retire before sixty – I shall study for another degree!”

“What a coincidence!” I exclaimed, “I have the same dream as yours - a PhD on history or archeology sounds good for me.”

“But how are you going to make your living?” WK – sitting on the other side – asked.

“I suppose I can be a part time tutor of anatomy or physiology?” I smiled.

PS. According to Agatha Christie, archeologist is the best kind of husband – he will have more interest in his wife as she gets older.

No comments: