Sunday, April 29, 2012

Seafood

Shortly after the talk of Warren, I attended a regional meeting organized by a drug company.

It was a two-day event, but I shall not elaborate on what happened. There were no more than a dozen of people in the meeting, each from a different Asian-Pacific country. After we'd done with the first day, the organizer invited us for dinner in a elegant English restaurant nearby.

To my surprise, all of us (alas, except myself) objected to that idea.

The argument was simple: Since we were in Hong Kong, we should have the most famous dish here!

They meant seafood.

In no time, a table was booked close to a traditional seafood bazaar.

*********************
After the dinner, I asked my friend from Tokyo, "How do you think about the dishes tonight?"

"It's brilliant!" He was obviously delighted rather than being polite, "And you?"

"Well, I must say I've tried better ones," I smiled, "Seriously, I think the humble sashimi lunch set and miso soup I found in the Tsukiji market were more impressive.

"That's because you compare them with the Japanese food you have here - and I feel the same when I think of the steamed grouper and prawn in soy sauce we have in Tokyo!"

I was forced to agree.

No comments: