Monday, April 30, 2012

Scarlet

Met my friend L on Saturday. 

"Hey, man! What are you going to do for the weekend?" I asked.

"You know, I am recently addicted to the TV series Scarlet Heart (步步驚心)," he said with a curious smile.

Fortunately I know what that series is - Vivian told me that much. In short, it was about a modern woman who, via Return to the Future, got mixed up with the scandal around the succession of Kangxi (康熙) Emperor. Nonetheless, I couldn't believe my ears, "Why! I could hardly believe you are interested in soap opera!"

L laughed even louder, "In that case, have you heard of Palace (宫)?"

I nodded, "Yes, of course. It's another TV series around the same time as the Scarlet Heart - and the two had a remarkably similar plot."

"Quite true, although I'm quite sure they are independent and their similarities coincidental," L said - his mind seemed to have gone somewhere else.

Knowing perfectly well that my friend had an abnormally convoluted mind, I went on and asked, "But, what are you trying to talk about?"

"I am just reflecting the very truth that two different stories could be told in an unbelievably similar way, while ironically the same event could be described by two persons in entirely different manners - for example, the hospital discharge summary of our patients!"

No comments: