Saturday, June 16, 2012

Homework

During a casual conversation, a friend of mine asked, “Szeto, do you work at home? I have so much to do that everyday I feel guilty if I do not bring along with me some homework for the evening when the day is over!”

I smiled and shook my head. The classic story of Ronald Reagan and another vivid discussion between two of our colleagues  flashed through my mind. (See http://ccszeto.blogspot.hk/2010/02/work.html)

“In essence, no, although I’d love to,” I explained, “You know, I have enough to do at home even though I always try to keep all work in the hospital.”

“Eh…?” My friend appeared surprised.

“Well, to begin with, I do help taking care of my two princesses – checking their homework, practising English, and all these. You know, I am even telling Euterpe a serial bedtime story every night,” I went on, “In addition, I write my blog after my daughters go to bed, and I read non-medical books for another half an hour before I call up Hypnos.”

PS. For the past two weeks, the bedtime story that I told Euterpe was The Adventure of Noah’s Ark. Yes, it’s all my clumsy invention. Nonetheless, it seems an excellent opportunity to talk about the character of different animals.

No comments: